The game version of PoliticalSim TM has hundreds of interview questions. This is a sample, drawn mostly from the humorous “Authors” catagory, which teaches players to distinguish between democratic and authoritarian points of view.
Who said (and thought?) “When the president does it, that means it is not illegal.”
1) Bill Clinton 2) George Washington 3) Richard Nixon 4) George W. Bush
“My definition of a free society is a society in which it is safe to be unpopular.” joked
1) Adlai Stevenson 2) Bill Clinton 3) Newt Gingrich 4) George IV
In January, 1996, he declared: “The era of big government is over.”
1) Vaclav Havel 2) Bill Clinton 3) Helmit Kohl 4) Bob Dole
Who said the United States is “the greatest poem.”
1) Walt Whitman 2) Abraham Lincoln 3) Jesse Helms 4) Joseph McCarthy
Marlene Dietrich said “I love men who try to impress me; they make me laugh.”
Who courted laughter with the impressive claim “Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.”
1) Mahatma Gandhi 2) Abe Lincoln 3) Henry Kissinger 4) Adolf Hitler
According to Ashley Montague, “It is the mark of the cultured man that he is aware of the fact that _____ is an ethical and not a biological principle.”
1) equality 2) interdependance 3) succession 4) survival of the fittest
According to Reinhold Niebuhr “The tendency to claim God as an ally for our partisan values and ends is . . . the source of all religious _____.”
1) awakening 2) growth 3) dogma 4) fanaticism
Complete this French proverb “If you are under 30 and are not a socialist you have no heart. If you are over 30 and are still a socialist you have no ____”
1) feet 2) eyes 3) stomach 4) brain
Which voting system always gives each voter just what he or she votes for?
1) voting with your feet, 2) Fair-share Spending, 3) Condorcet's rule, 4) Plurality rule
A communist is
1) a person who has given up hope of becoming a capitalist;
2) a socialist without a sense of humor;
3) a person who has nothing and is eager to share it with others.
A reformer is a person who
1) insists on his conscience being your guide;
2) makes associates feel miserable about their pleasures;
3) rides through sewers in a glass-bottomed boat.
Who said, half jokingly, “The illegal we do immediately.
The unconstitutional takes a little longer.”
1) Abbey Hoffman 2) Jimmy Carter 3) Gerald Ford 4) Henry Kissenger
An elected official gets 55% of the popular vote, from a turnout
of 50% of registered voters, who are 70% of voting-age adults.
Approximately what percent of voting-age adults supported the winner?
1) 19% 2) 25% 3) 33% 4) 55%
Who said “We have always known that heedless self-interest
was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics.”
1) FDR 2) Boris Yeltsin 3) Ronald Reagan 4) Newt Gingrich
According to Clare Boothe Luce “___ has done more to cause
the social unrest of the 20th century than any other single factor.”
1) Revolution 2) Democracy 3) Socialism 4) Advertising
Who said: “In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their own language.”
1) Mark Twain 2) Teddy Roosevelt 3) Woodrow Wilson 4) Ronald Reagan
Do you know some provocative or humourous quotes about voters, elections or democracy? Please send them along!